Laurent Ferrier, a company synonymous with technical refinement and flawless finishing, unveils a new limited-edition, user-friendly annual calendar
Throughout the year, each season represents a stage of life. For example, spring is youthful, immature and naive. However, with the passage of time, autumn arrives, mature and wise. Autumn has experience and has amassed knowledge, traits which resonate with Laurent Ferrier and have provided inspiration for the company’s latest limited-edition watch.
The classically-styled Laurent Ferrier Galet Annual Calendar School Piece “Geneva Edition” was designed in-house and embodies an array of qualities which distinguish it as special. The prevailing time is conveyed with curvaceous ruthenium Assegai hands. A snailed small seconds display resides above 6 o’clock, tastefully imparting meaning. Two bevelled apertures, positioned in the upper portion of the dial, proclaim the day and month, while the date is indicated by a white hand circumnavigating the periphery of the dial. The dial displays much information yet remains uncluttered and free of distractions.
As its name suggests, this watch is endowed with an annual calendar. This complication recognises those months with 30 and 31 days, automatically advancing to the 1st of the month as appropriate. The only occasion necessitating manual adjustment is once per year on the 1st of March. A push piece on the left side of the case provides a simple means of adjusting the ‘day’ display. All other adjustments can be made easily by pulling the crown and rotating it accordingly, obviating the need for tools.
Laurent Ferrier’s “Montre Ecole” or School Piece case
The School Piece case pays due reverence to a time when watchmakers converted pocket watches into wrist worn timepieces. The company’s ‘ball-shaped’ crown proffers ease of manipulation and an abundance of eye appeal. The vertical flank of the crown features a domed circlet, a shape repeated on the sides of the graceful, arcing lugs. Engraved text features on the underside of the case, stating “Geneva Edition” and bearing the watch’s individual number (limited to 5 pieces). The Calibre n°126.01 is at the heart of the “Geneva Edition”. This hand-wound movement, comprised of 235 components, incorporates a Swiss lever escapement and is capable of running autonomously for up to 80 hours. The variable inertia balance features screws affixed to the rim of the balance wheel, providing an effective means of altering the rate. It delivers superior performance when contrasted to a simple index-adjusted balance and is highly prized by purists. A power-reserve indicator is positioned on the movement, visible to the rear of the watch. The company’s iconic long ‘blade’ type click ratchet, much loved by the brand’s owners, is mirror polished with a ‘rounded-off’ finish and evinces a resplendent appearance.
Laurent Ferrier Galet Annual Calendar School Piece "Geneva Edition"
• Manual winding calibre LF126.01.
• Swiss lever escapement and balance screw.
• Indications: Hours and Minutes in the centre. Small seconds at 6 o´clock. Power reserve area indicator on the back side. Annual calendar:
– Calendar central hand.
– Day-disc and Month-disc (Automatic correction for months with 30 or 31 days. One correction on March 1st)
• Semi-instantaneous calendar. Days and month semi-instantaneous apertures.
• Correctors: Crown for winding, time-setting, calendar central hand and months. Push button at 10 o´clock for days of the week.
• Correction forward / backward of the calendar on intermediate position.
• Movement diameter: 31.60 mm (14´´´).
• Thickness: 5.80 mm.
• Frequency: 3Hz (21´600 /H).
• Power reserve: 80 hours.
• Number of components: 235.
• Number of jewels: 23.
• stainless steel
• Size: 40 mm diameter
• Thickness: 10.10 mm or 12.80 mm including the sapphire crystal
• Domed sapphire crystals, front and back
• Water resistant to 30 meters
• “Ball-shaped” crown in 18K/750 5N red gold or stainless steel
• Opaline Autumn inspired
• Hours circle powdered silver
• Vintage-inspired numerals painted in blue 1-30 and in red for 31
• Small second at 6 o´clock, with a circular satin brushed outer circle and snailed in the center
• Bevelled day and month apertures.
• 18K/750 210Pd white gold.
• Hours and minutes: “Assegai-shaped”, ruthenium treated
• Seconds: baton-type with counterweight, ruthenium treated
• Date: painted in white
• Brown chestnut alligator leather witch matching Alcantara lining.
• Pin buckle or a double blade folding clasp.